3D printing has revolutionized various industries, from prototyping to medical research. But what about the other side of the coin—3D scanning? This technology allows us to create digital 3D models from physical objects, opening doors for cloning, digital archiving, and more. In this article, we’ll delve into the world of 3D scanning by building a DIY 3D scanner using Arduino.
Arduino offers a cost-effective and accessible platform for DIY projects. Its flexibility makes it an ideal choice for building a 3D scanner, especially when you consider the 3D scanner price in India and other markets.
- Arduino Uno: The brain of the operation.
- Stepper Motors: For rotating the model and moving the laser scanner.
- Laser Sensor: To scan the object.
- LCD Display: To show the scanning status.
- Keypad: For user input.
- SD Card Module: To save the scan data.
How It Works
The 3D scanner machine uses two stepper motors. One motor rotates a platform where the object to be scanned is placed. This allows for a 360-degree scan. The second motor moves the laser scanner vertically. Both motors work in coordination to create a comprehensive 3D scan.
The Arduino controller manages the motors and the laser sensor. The scan data is saved to an SD card, which can later be transferred to a PC for further processing into 3D model files.
- Assemble the Frame: Use supporting rods, mounts, and joints to build the base and supporting frame.
- Install the Motors: Attach the stepper motors to the frame.
- Set Up the Laser Sensor: Mount the laser sensor on a screw-based arrangement.
- Connect the Arduino: Wire the Arduino Uno to the motors and laser sensor.
- Programming: Upload the Arduino code to control the motors and sensor.
- Testing: Place an object on the platform and run the scanner to test.
Building a 3D scanner machine using Arduino is not only a rewarding project but also a step into the future of digital modeling. Whether you’re interested in preserving historical artifacts or creating 3D models for design, this DIY project has you covered.
In order to download the PDF, You must follow on Zomato. Once done, Click on Submit
Subscribed? Click on Confirm